Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Blue Umbrella


Yesterday I had nothing much to do and was not in the mood to read also, and it has been a while since I watched a decent Hindi movie. So I tried “Blue umbrella”, and I’m glad I wasn’t disappointed. I’m truly amazed by Vishal Bharadwaj. This fellow is so talented that at times I feel a bit jealous towards him. Great Musician, Fantastic Direction and Innovative Scripts, you name it and you get it. Omkara was the first, of his masterpieces which I saw, and I was speechless or I should say I couldn’t stop talking about the movie. Plot, Music, Performances, Direction, dialogues, everything was inch-perfect. Then I watched Maqbool, and almost same experience, except this one was more serious but with added flavor of Irfaan Khan.

To complete the series I decided for Blue umbrella. The title gave me the impression that this one might be similar to “Makdee”, but I was wrong. This one has more emotional touch than “Makdee”. By reviews, I came to know that it is inspired from a novel by Ruskin bond.

I liked the movie because of its simplicity and purity. The Blue Umbrella is a charming story, but it is also a powerful film exploring multiple themes of greed, innocence. It is shot in the amazing surroundings of Himachal Pradesh.

After Maqbool, I was really impressed by Pankaj Kapur and after this one, I admire him. Pankaj Kapur plays Nand Kishore, local village baniya, who steals the umbrella and then gets caught. In fact, Pankaj Kapur is so good in this film, he almost brought tears to my eyes. I will recommend this movie to all, who are fed up with typical Hindi masala movies and like off-beat movies.

--- Mishra

1 comment:

  1. I agree Manish. I guess ...for past few months there was a strike regd movies and their releases.For me the strike still is on...I mean the movies that are on screens now are just GOOD FOR NOTHING. Hence movies released are as good as a strike.

    The Blue Umbrella is unlike a typical masala HIndi movie.

    ReplyDelete

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog